DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil drain off front valve cover
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:48 am 

This has always puzzled me: After the oil drains where does it go? It is already about a low as it gets! This photo is off a set now on Superpantah site; an F1 with an interesting engine. Thanks for your comments. MikeV
Attachment:
oil drain off cover.jpg
oil drain off cover.jpg [ 287.42 KiB | Viewed 1398 times ]

Post subject: Re: Oil drain off front valve cover
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:30 pm 

The oil drains typically go to the sump and ideally below the normal oil level to keep crankcase pressure from blowing the oil back up the pipe. The idea behind it is to keep oil from collecting at a level above the valve guide. On the exhaust side it keeps it from blowing smoke and a possible black flag, on the intake side it will reduce the possibility of sucking oil into the combustion chamber and causing detonation. It is not unique to Ducati but a help to all engines that have "loose" valve guides. Modern materials and seals have largely eliminated the need to have oversize drains on the heads.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:33 pm 

Thanks Dietz. So I guess they tap into the case somewhere. Ever seen a photo of where that is? MikeV

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:55 pm 

I did that mod on my bevel racer and just drilled and tapped a hole in the side of the sump below the normal oil level. On the vert. intake I did another hole at the back of the cases.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:50 am 

My reasoning for installing external oil drains is to reduce crankshaft windage. Stock drainback runs right into the crank and makes the milk shake you see in the sight glass. This mod makes a nice difference at places like Daytona. The entry to the cases should be ABOVE the normal running sump oil height or the oil will not flow fast enough to make a difference.
-cranky-

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:13 pm 

Thanks Cranky. Someone mentioned to me the oil draining onto the crankshaft as a problem, but it seems that only the V cylinder would do that since it is straight down. Seems little benefit from the H since it drains mostly horizontal. I have a set of NCR Pantah heads with both H drain holes blocked (but only one in the V), so someone must have used this type of drain system with the set. MikeV

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:05 pm 

Kevin Bracken built a square case bevel drive race engine in the early 80's that had a very elaborate oil drain system on it. He also installed pantah heads to get the superior 60 degree valve angle. Here is a link to the story of the build. Lots of interesting info and some great pics of the exterior oil drain lines. http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/kevin_race_engine.html

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:53 pm 

Wow, great article! Just by increasing the compression yielded an extra 24hp. Did I read that correctly?

Basically, just installing those pistons yielded 80 HP. Here is the chart again with the previous numbers side by side for comparison. The Cosworth pistons were tested with the Imola cams. I think I jumped all around the shop. When I got to Willow Springs Raceway, that change was worth 4 seconds a lap

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:54 pm 

Yeah, I forgot all about the windage issue [it was 20+yrs. ago] and the drain below oil level was explained to me as the way to keep crankcase pressure from blowing it back up into the head. I did run a pretty large reed valve on the case vent and never had a problem with it pushing oil even with tired pistons and guides.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:54 am 

Well, that was interesting. Another humbling read for an amateur mechanic like me. But, WAY TOO MUCH plumbing to deal with. MikeV