DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adapting a Guzzi DYNA ignition to a Pantah engine
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:58 am 

This just shows my weakness in electrical matters, but I have wondered, is there any reason why this could not be adapted to a Pantah engine? Both are 90 degree V twins. The Guzzi engine it is designed for uses the same Bosch pickups (not in oil), and a similar longer wiring harness to the Bosch electronic boxes. Thanks for your expert comments. MikeV

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360531146262?ss ... 1436.l2649

Post subject: Re: Adapting a Guzzi DYNA ignition to a Pantah engine
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:10 am 

The Guzzi models that this Dyna ignition fits have points ignition not Bosch electronic.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:27 am 

Thanks for the reply. But doesn't this kit replace the points system inside a distributor, if that is what they have? I thought only the 750, 850, 1000 etal, had a distributor. Don't the small-block Guzzis (500, 600) use the Bosch igniter boxes and the Bosch pickups? I know there is a wiring harness with the rubber boots on it for that purpose. So this could be stuck on the right side of the Ducati cam timing shaft, and the wiring run to Bosch igniter boxes? Of course, some bracket would have to be made. Wouldn't that be very similar to the ones in the photos below? MikeV

Attachment:
ignition French photo 4.JPG
ignition French photo 4.JPG [ 601.35 KiB | Viewed 1557 times ]

Attachment:
ignition jako 04.jpg
ignition jako 04.jpg [ 23.37 KiB | Viewed 1557 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:33 pm 

Yes, of course it could work. You would have to make up a custom rotor that would attach to the lower pulley and use the Guzzi coils. I have lots of the covers in case you don't want to butcher up your pristine ones.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:38 pm 

Mike, are you looking to do something like this? This setup has been trouble free for almost 10 years now, except for once coming loose at the worst possible time at Willow. It's locked down tight now. Fires Dyna coils, very simple. You just got to find another place to add oil. I use the breather, but you could use the alternator wiring exit if you run total loss.
Bill

Attachments:
001.JPG
001.JPG [ 373.92 KiB | Viewed 1471 times ]
002.JPG
002.JPG [ 370.57 KiB | Viewed 1471 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:08 pm 

Thanks for the replies guys. At that price I could afford to experiment with it. These Ducati Bosch pickups are just getting worn out, and any adjustment is a royal PITA. MikeV

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:36 am 

:?: Hi Bill,
What clutch cover are those photos of that has the oil filler plug right below the idler cam wheel?
I thought Pantah based engines have it above the clutch basket...
MikeV, you are giving me food for thought with this ignition system.
Could you precisely inform me which setup you are purchasing please?
Thanks,
Steve

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:59 am 

Pantah 600, I believe all the hydraulic-operated wet-clutch pantah engines, and even 1990s 400s-750s used a side cover with the filler down low. I am not positive I am buying anything yet, but I know the Guzzi small-blocks (V35 - V50 etc) use a pickup inside the front engine cover, and a similar wiring harness from that to the same Bosch igniter boxes as found on the Pantahs. So, that would seem the right kit to buy; the one I noted on eBay. MikeV

I do not have a Guzzi V50 laying around, but this site helps some: https://www.google.com/search?q=Moto+Gu ... 66&dpr=0.9

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:26 pm 

Hi Steve,
It's a wet clutch I got from Cranky as part of the NCR clutch sale to him. He would know. Must be a later one. Alazzurra? The NCR clutch cover had the oil fill in the same place so I was used to it being blocked by the Dyna ignition pick up, and didn't realize there was another location on Pantah based engines.
Bill

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:29 am 

618F1 wrote:
Pantah 600, I believe all the hydraulic-operated wet-clutch pantah engines, and even 1990s 400s-750s used a side cover with the filler down low. I am not positive I am buying anything yet, but I know the Guzzi small-blocks (V35 - V50 etc) use a pickup inside the front engine cover, and a similar wiring harness from that to the same Bosch igniter boxes as found on the Pantahs. So, that would seem the right kit to buy; the one I noted on eBay. MikeV

I do not have a Guzzi V50 laying around, but this site helps some: https://www.google.com/search?q=Moto+Gu ... 66&dpr=0.9

Ok, thanks MikeV!
Thanks also for the link... That explains the the guzzi setup. I'll ask a few Guzziheads at the DOCV club WRT the V50.

Bill, maybe the Allazura's had them lower down. Certainly any dry clutch engine would have it positioned there....
Ducati mysteries.....

Cheers to all,
Steve

Profile Personal album