DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: DUCATI TT2 SAKAMOTO FUEL TANK DISASTER
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:02 pm 

Carlo wrote:
Today I finished the restoration of my TT2, I made ​​the decision to remove paint the moaaetti aluminum disc brakes, both front and rear.

The front legs are back as the originals, since they were painted along with the rims.

The latter is magnesium, is a little experience, but I like it as it is.

I must say that the bike has changed dramatically, I wanted to replace the brake master cylinder reservoir as the original, now the dashboard is much more clean and reflects the motion then.

I am very ideciso removing paint on the rims, I know that its original color is much more clear, but I also photographs of the pilot then with the bike on the track, and the color is the current one.

What should I do? You friends what would you do?

My wife Antonella, told me to let them do it, given that the bike has competed with that color, as far as the hubs of the disc brakes, I have done well to restore the original anodizing, even if it is lived and a little spoiled.

This is his opinion (my wife)

Want to see that she's right, this time?? :lol: :lol:

Carlo,
is that a chemical stripper that you used for removing the brake rotor anodising? How difficulat was it?
Clinton

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:09 pm 

Hello Clinton,
It was the paint that Carlo removed to show the original anodising.
Looks like he used carb cleaner.

Nice job Carlo (again) :D

Graeme

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:31 am 

Thanks Graeme - that makes more sense.

Clinton

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:52 am 

Ciao Clinton, Ciao Graeme, I used a product that I use to clean the carburetors, I happened by accident that I have fallen on the bench, I can assure you that is great for the carburetors, but it is also great for removing paint of the painted pieces.

Want to know the time of immersion of the hub of the disc brake?

Not even 5 minutes!

You who think, I should do it again the color of the rims?

If the bike was yours, what would be your decision?

Attachments:
Immagine 039 (2).jpg
Immagine 039 (2).jpg [ 111.39 KiB | Viewed 595 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:20 pm 

Ciao Carlo,
Il mio parere .....
Se il TT2 era mia e non sapevo la storia ce l'avrei fatta, come ha lasciato la Ducati ufficiale.
Ma voi conoscete la storia e il cavaliere signor Sakamoto.
Si fa a mantenere la Storia Sakamoto o la storia Ducati?
Questa è una domanda solo voi come il custode di questa macchina può rispondere.

In caso di dubbio non fare niente.

Ci scusiamo per non rispondere alla tua domanda, tu e Lou sono maggiormente in grado di rispondere a questo problema.

Graeme

My opinion.....
If your TT2 was mine and I did not know the history I would make it like it left the factory Ducati.
But you do know the history and the rider Mr Sakamoto.
Do you keep the Sakamoto History or the Ducati history?
This is a question only you as the caretaker of this machine can answer.

If in doubt don't do anything.

Sorry for not answering your question, you and Lou are better able to answer this problem.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:51 pm 

This is a question I wrestle with all the time. I am in the midst of this right now as I am trying to put together two bikes with racing history. This is usually a much easier task with vintage cars but racing motorcycles take a beating and when they are upgraded to stay competitive many components get changed out. My Adamo bike started life as a beautiful and rare TT2. It was raced in 1983 and won an AMA championship. I almost wish the bike still looked like it did back then, but to stay competitive it was kitted to TT1 specs and many things were changed. Motor to 750, exhaust, fat 16 inch wheels, bigger and stronger swing arm, Fox shock, bigger forks, different fairing. She raced for a few more years, more wins and crashes, then finally retired. When it was sold they put 17 inch Marvics on her. Right now I am trying to return the bike to the last year she was raced. Could I bring her back to TT2 spec and make her look like 1983 all over again? Probably, but would it be right? Like Carlo has said before we are caretakers, we try to preserve history as accurately as possible, good or bad. I must be honest, while I work on these bikes, I see things I wouldn't necessarily do as a builder, but I am not building this bike just for my pleasure, I am just trying to preserve a bit of history, a time when this is how things had to get done to finish a race. Many people can build a pretty close to flawless machine. The hard part is not washing away what someone else created back in the day. Do I like the carriers on Carlos bike to look original as Brembo made them, yes, they look correct and nicer. Did Sakamoto have his success and history with the carriers painted the same color as the wheels? Did it race with them both ways? If so leave them be, if not, get out the paint gun! Sorry I went on so long, but this is something I have been thinking a lot about lately. Lou

Attachments:
dntt2.jpg
dntt2.jpg [ 264.58 KiB | Viewed 573 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:01 pm 

I believe in the caretaker! There are replicas of the factory bikes and there are the factory bikes themselves.
It great to see how some bikes have evolved and still won races and or championships, the loaded question would be what is it worth.
In another post pat slinn shows a tt2 with fuel injection what a great idea! I wouldn't do it to an old tt2,tt1 or F1, but a replica it would be great!
Carlo, Lou just keep up the great work!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:16 am 

ducttf1 wrote:
This is a question I wrestle with all the time. I am in the midst of this right now as I am trying to put together two bikes with racing history. This is usually a much easier task with vintage cars but racing motorcycles take a beating and when they are upgraded to stay competitive many components get changed out. My Adamo bike started life as a beautiful and rare TT2. It was raced in 1983 and won an AMA championship. I almost wish the bike still looked like it did back then, but to stay competitive it was kitted to TT1 specs and many things were changed. Motor to 750, exhaust, fat 16 inch wheels, bigger and stronger swing arm, Fox shock, bigger forks, different fairing. She raced for a few more years, more wins and crashes, then finally retired. When it was sold they put 17 inch Marvics on her. Right now I am trying to return the bike to the last year she was raced. Could I bring her back to TT2 spec and make her look like 1983 all over again? Probably, but would it be right? Like Carlo has said before we are caretakers, we try to preserve history as accurately as possible, good or bad. I must be honest, while I work on these bikes, I see things I wouldn't necessarily do as a builder, but I am not building this bike just for my pleasure, I am just trying to preserve a bit of history, a time when this is how things had to get done to finish a race. Many people can build a pretty close to flawless machine. The hard part is not washing away what someone else created back in the day. Do I like the carriers on Carlos bike to look original as Brembo made them, yes, they look correct and nicer. Did Sakamoto have his success and history with the carriers painted the same color as the wheels? Did it race with them both ways? If so leave them be, if not, get out the paint gun! Sorry I went on so long, but this is something I have been thinking a lot about lately. Lou

Carissimo Lou, Dear Lou, In Italy there are many people to whom I could address my questions, but as you can see, I prefer to show my problems to the friends of the forum, and in particular to you, of course, with all due respect to the other friends of the forum , as very competent.

Maybe I did not say an important detail.

The tt2 Sakamoto, has had an update from the second owner, when I brought the TT2 to my house, I saw with much surprise, that the hubs of the brake disc, were painted along with the rims of the wheels, practically painting also the bolts.

I say this: it is possible that a mechanic preparer, who competes for a national championship, to do something like that.

I am at a crossroads very difficult, I'm going to very difficult for the advancement, thinking and reflecting very intensely.

From the documentation that I have seen that I have disc brakes are in an original way, so I think I have done the right thing.

The color of the rims is my biggest problem.

The color reflects (from what I can steal from old photographs) much like the real look then.

I think I'll stop and leave everything as it is now.

I would like to thank all of you, Lou, Graeme, and all those that I have been of help.

If you have yet to give me advice, I want to learn from you again.

One of your final answer, for me it would be greatly appreciated, Lou!

Ciao a tutti!! Carlo.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:22 am 

I found an old photo, taken with my old phone, when I brought home my tt2.

I do not know if you can see, what I told you.

If you look, you can see the bolts of disc brakes, fully painted along with the rims.

I do not know who could have done such a thing, but I can not accept this.

Appearance criticisms and beatings! :lol:

Carlo

Attachments:
06022007(008).jpg
06022007(008).jpg [ 272.37 KiB | Viewed 557 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:33 am 

Looking closely at a picture of me, donated by Sakamoto, I've been paying attention (even if the photo is in black and white) to the heads of the bolts, and I think that that map the surfaces detached, ie that are not painted.

I'd be all set, around my bike, or around a your bike, to talk and advise the best!

Hello Friends, another photo to watch ...

carlo

Attachments:
Immagine 018.jpg
Immagine 018.jpg [ 2.64 MiB | Viewed 557 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next