DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ride height ?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:29 am 

Hi, the ride height looks a little low to me, The shock length is 295mm as recomended by Harris,
I have not yet bought the new shock for the bike but I think it needs to be a little longer.
Any thoughts on this ?

Attachments:
tti on wheels 003.jpg
tti on wheels 003.jpg [ 4.28 MiB | Viewed 1764 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: ride height ?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:30 pm 

Hi Auburn,
my good mate Graeme suggested to me I set up my TT2 replica to the following angles;
Front fork rake angle to 24deg from vertical. Rear swing-arm droop to 12deg from horizontal. Static measurements
Looking at your photo, suggests the rear swing-arm droop to be less than 12deg.
My rear shock measured 325mm eye to eye. My standard Pantah 35mm Marzocchi front forks are pushed through the top fork brace by some 50mm!
Though, I have yet to ride this project. So, seek other opinions.
Good luck.
Cheers,
Steve

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:51 pm 

Geometry aside, I never would have thought to use the stock rear caliper bracket as a floater. I like it!
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:27 am 

Definately does not look right to me, even with the forks dropped through by 50mm, the distance from the rear axle to the rear subframe seems too close.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:08 am 

Thanks guys, its the first time it has stood on its wheels I thought 295mm was a bit short reading some old posts most are 300 to 360.
I think I will look at 325 but with the posibility of ajustment in there.
its weighing in at 150 kg at the moment with a 50/50 split front and rear.
any more sugestions welcome.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:30 pm 

Hello Auburn,
It looks like it's low in the rear and the front looks too raked out at the front. (but thats just looking at your picture)
I'm led to believe the Verlicchi frames are 24 deg steering head, I don't know what the Harris is. ?
If you can find out what the steering head angle is for the Harris you can start there and then work out the rear height. You may need to lower the front from what it is now?
The rear shock with an adjustable lenght is a good option, but get the bike set up as close as you can with no sag (full extension) on either suspension so you can get a good idea of the shock length before you buy one.

graeme

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:30 am 

Way back when Verlicchi made the frames, and the Harris brothers made a number of the variant sold through Sports m/c's, the true geometry was much as in the picture. If Steve Harris states 295mm for the shock length then I am sure that's what they used (in the good old days). However, with the passage of time and in our minds eye due to current trends we expect a slightly more radical approach to seat height/fork angle etc. Maybe that's why a TT2 using the old set-up appears more like a cruiser than a TT2.
A general indicator of ride height is to look at the footrest position. If the frame is either Verlicchi or a copy using the same geometry, as with the Harris, the underside of the footrest is generally in line with the top of the swing arm tube, as it is in the pic here.
Using a 295mm shock together with front forks as per the original length at 580mm results in what we can see before us.

Having said all that, non of the above has any relavance to anything but the past. Fast forward 30 years where we enjoy the benefit of modern tyre technology, way better suspension, and an elbows and knees riding stlye that has changed even more so. The geometry simply evolved to accomodate it.

Have a look a the side on pic on this link to see what I mean about the old TT2 geometry.
http://www.ducati-tt.de/12Bilder_worksr ... ads_14.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:48 am 

Thanks sports,The bike is on the bench now so i will lengthen the shock a little to get the foot peg S/A as you describe.
and lower the front slightly,
I am just looking for a base setting for now, So for starters if it looks right it often is right.
Its away for a exhaust makeing next week so hopefully on the road by the end of the month.

Profile Personal album