DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Modern Street F1 Endruance Replica Build Thread
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:03 am 

Hi all, this will be my build thread for my Endurance Rep. The objective is to build a street bike which cosmetically looks similar to Lucky's 1986 F1 Endurance bike that is in the Ducati Museum, with a modern fuel injected engine and suspension. I'd like to end up with a bike that is reliable, retro cool, and can be used for Sunday rides through the fantastic roads that I live near.

Inspiration for build is Lucky's race bike.
Attachment:
File comment: Lucky
lucky-imola.png
lucky-imola.png [ 1.44 MiB | Viewed 3005 times ]

As it will be a street bike I've gone with an F1 Road Fairing, supplied by Ian Gowanloch. Great quality.
Attachment:
File comment: F1 Road Fairing
f1-fairing.png
f1-fairing.png [ 795.15 KiB | Viewed 3007 times ]

I love the shape of the endurance tank and seat and these were sourced from RedFox, once again awesome pieces and super fast shipping from Belgium. :)
Attachment:
File comment: F1 seat and tank
f1-tank-seat.png
f1-tank-seat.png [ 811.66 KiB | Viewed 3007 times ]

I really wanted a 2000 900Sie Monster, as they have the aluminium swingarm, Ohlins rear shock, fully adjustable front forks and the lighter wheels, however beggars can't be choosers so I was looking for any wreck at the local auctions. I was very lucky for one to come up recently at a local auction site, which was a stolen bike with some water damage, that had been knocked about, but basically wheels and suspension were perfect. I wasn't sure the engine would be any good, but the fuel pump, injection and computer would still be OK. I picked it up and took it home, changed all the fluids in the engine, added some petrol and hit the starter. It fired up straight away and ran perfectly, so I am pretty happy.
Attachment:
File comment: 900Sie Wreck
900sie.png
900sie.png [ 1016.93 KiB | Viewed 3007 times ]

Rear Ohlins with a cool mount, which I am hoping will still work in the Endurance Frame
Attachment:
File comment: rear shock
900sie-ohlins.png
900sie-ohlins.png [ 964.82 KiB | Viewed 3007 times ]

Aluminium Swingarm, and the lighter Brembo's
Attachment:
File comment: Swingarm
900sie-swingarm.png
900sie-swingarm.png [ 966.21 KiB | Viewed 3007 times ]

I am waiting for my frame to come from Germany, delayed manufacturing due to illness, I think I would have liked to find this site first as there may have been other options for the frame purchase. I decided to play around with the fairing and seat on the monster frame. Just sitting there as it doesn't fit over the grab rails, but I reckon it would look pretty good with the F1 fairing, seat and tank. You'd need one of those F1 tanks without the bottom from England so the airbox etc would work though.
Attachment:
File comment: Monster with F1 Fairing
900sie-f1-fairing.png
900sie-f1-fairing.png [ 726.06 KiB | Viewed 3007 times ]

Once the frame arrives, I will lift the monster frame off, and bolt the Endurance one on, after modding the rear cylinder fins for clearance. Then it will be the mock build to work out where the electronics etc are going and mark the frame up for any additional mounts required. Once it's in the frame I can work out what might need to be done to the fuel tank. It will need extra returns put in and also the fuel gauge / wiring inlet for the internal fuel pump. I will also need to replace the current cap with the flush one, so that the fuel pump can be maintained in the future.

P.S. I will also clean my shed once the rain stops, so please ignore the mess in the photos. :)

Post subject: Re: Modern Street F1 Endruance Replica Build Thread
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:09 am 

4 months on and still no frame from original supplier, so cancelled order and will now be getting the frame from Jan at Redfox who supplied the tank and seat...

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:45 am 

Frame arrived from Jan at Redfox within a couple of weeks, wish I'd gone straight to him... So I mock built the bike to work out how the bodywork and electronics etc will fit in the frame, and where I need to add or remove any mounting tabs. The 900 engine, injection system, and rear suspension all bolted straight in with no clearance issues, a real credit to the frame builder. I will keep the 2-2 system on it, so will have to cut out the belly pan to suit.

Attachment:
WP_20130427_001.jpg
WP_20130427_001.jpg [ 158.96 KiB | Viewed 2774 times ]

Attachment:
WP_20130427_005.jpg
WP_20130427_005.jpg [ 171.74 KiB | Viewed 2774 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:18 am 

I think my fairing from italspares will arrive this week. I've gone the race style, meaning I have to run the endurance bug eyed lights. not sure if they're actually road worthy, given the frontal protrusion, etc.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:25 pm 

Hello Brad,
Triumph speed triples are ok for rego, similar two bug eye lights.
There are other less road worthy things on the road that a well built Ducati replica.
Graeme

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:12 pm 

Dual headlights; The triumph set cost around $1500. I found the Buell dual headlights cost only around $200. Not an exact match but possibly close enough if you want to register the bike.

Here is what they look like: http://www.pashnit.com/bikes/BuellUlysses.htm

Cool project shmokica!

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:00 pm 

Not suggesting using speed triple lights, I think they would be too big, just that they are registerable with duals sticking out.
Just to explain what I meant.
Regards
Graeme

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:37 pm 

found a few threads on fitting the buells. they're one piece, and pivot from the top it seems, so would need to be inverted.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279508 among others

I guess the look is narrow back driving lights, but an easy mount system would be easier, and i'm all for that.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:07 am 

big thanks (mad props?) for the side on shot with white panels too, altho mine's not going to have a belly pan. any issues with belly clearance to the larger motor with yours? I've been colouring it in with paint all afternoon. don't understand photo shop.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:49 am 

LOL. I use to do that all the time when I was building the NSR and playing with paint schemes. The bellypan fits, however I had to do cutouts to clear the exhaust. It's fairly subtle, and this latest image is close to the final fit. Blinkers and mudguard are from a 2000+ SS, trying to keep most parts from Ducati, inline with a parts bin bike. :)

Attachment:
WP_20130505_001.jpg
WP_20130505_001.jpg [ 218.16 KiB | Viewed 2632 times ]